Bridgewater Associates is a premier asset management firm, focused on delivering unique insight and partnership for the most sophisticated global institutional investors. Our investment process is driven by a tireless pursuit to understand how the world's markets and economies work - using cutting edge technology to validate and execute on timeless and universal investment principles.
Powering this engine requires a diverse community of investment professionals, technologists, managers and other specialists. The firm attracts independent thinkers who share a commitment to achieving excellence in their respective lines of work and operating in our unique culture. Bridgewater was founded in 1975 and its principal offices are located in Westport, CT - an hour outside New York City. Our Culture
Bridgewater aspires to be an idea meritocracy in which radical transparency and believability-weighted decision-making allow the best ideas to prevail. Feedback is frequent and flows in all directions, meetings are recorded and shared, mistake-based learning is encouraged, and everyone is expected to uphold high standards of excellence and personal accountability.
Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) is central to that mission - to develop the deepest understanding of markets and economies we must find, retain, and grow the best talent across gender identity, race and ethnicity, sexual orientation, gained experiences, and more. To unlock the power of that diversity also requires an inclusive environment. In pursuit of this vision, Bridgewater has a full-time D&I team reporting to our CEO, vibrant affinity networks, and several companywide initiatives to drive progress. Ask your Bridgewater recruiter to learn more. About the Department
We are responsible for implementing Bridgewater's investment views while minimizing transaction costs. We do this by constantly deepening our understanding of liquidity and market dynamics to develop systematic, non-discretionary trade execution strategies. About Your Role
As a Trading Associate, you will execute trades, generate and evaluate ideas for how to make better trading decisions, and collaborate with strategists and technologists to constantly improve our processes, focusing on improving the implementation of our logic or increasing efficiency.
You will drive the following responsibilities:
- Through extensive on-desk formal training and informal on-the-job instruction, TAs become well-versed in trade execution strategies, the logic used to implement our strategies, and the production systems used to facilitate our logic.
- Once trained, our TAs carry out the core responsibilities of our department, including: implementing our desired exposures, developing a distinct view of the outside world through close interaction with the markets, and the evolution of our execution strategy.
- Traders at BW do not have discretion in their trading and do not "manage a book" - instead traders execute using a systematic set of rules and strive to improve those rules by developing a world-class understanding of markets.
- This team is based in CT, and trades globally 24 hours a day, 6 days a week. Trading shifts may vary, but typical shifts include coverage in hours during Asian, European, or New York markets.
- A deep sense of intellectual curiosity will be needed to fuel your ability to stay on top of the ever-changing market structure and dynamics and drive the evolution of our systematic process.
You will be a click for the role if you:
- Executing Bridgewater's desired exposures according to our systematic, proprietary processes
- Contributing to Bridgewater's understanding of market microstructure, transaction costs, market participants, and products in the markets
- Working with technologists and researchers to construct new investment implementation systems or overhaul old ones
- Driving initiatives to improve the quality, reliability, and efficiency of the systems you own
- Developing and maintaining strong relationships with our liquidity providers
Why Choose Bridgewater?
- Are analytical, highly logical, and structured in your thinking
- Thrive in a face-paced environment
- Are comfortable working off-hours to implement our trades in Asia and European markets and are excited about having a unique position at the nucleus of BWs trading activity through close interaction with the markets.
- Are deeply interested in understanding financial markets and game theory
- Have a holistic understanding of trading execution strategies
- Can think critically about outcomes and transform perceptions into strategic changes
- Have a knack for automation and naturally seek ways to improve processes
- Hold a high degree of personal responsibility and ownership in everything you do
- Are a mission-oriented team player, and are also willing to stand-alone and escalate to fight for truth; Chooses truth when faced with difficult choices.
The unifying experience at Bridgewater is meaningful work and meaningful relationships - the unique and lasting personal bonds forged out of a purposeful, rigorous, and inclusive work environment. Consistently, our employees find that this environment enables personal and professional growth, developed through an honest examination of their abilities and performance. We strive to provide you opportunities that will challenge you and unlock your potential.
In this role, you will grow with us by:
- Undergoing a training program of structured classes and on-the-job apprenticeship.
- Taking ownership of increasingly complex systems and processes.
- Taking on oversight and mentorship responsibilities to grow talent as you gain experience.
- Opportunities to grow your career across Bridgewater depending on your strengths, weaknesses, and experience.
One of our core priorities at Bridgewater is to enable our employees to build a great life and career, and we believe our benefits are an important extension of that philosophy. Bridgewater offers a competitive suite of benefits including health insurance with 100% premium coverage, a 401(k) plan with generous employer match, fully paid parental leave, a competitive PTO package, workplace flexibility, adoption and egg-freezing assistance, wellness offerings such as on-site gyms, free meals, healthy snacks, and meditation rooms, and an engaged and active community that includes company events, affinity networks and extracurricular interest groups.
Bridgewater reserves the right to change its current benefits program at any time, in a manner that is consistent with applicable federal and state regulations
This job description is not a contract and confers no contractual rights, privileges, or benefits on any applicant or potential applicant. Bridgewater has the right to change any and all terms of this job description, including, but not limited to, job responsibilities, qualifications and benefits. Nothing in this job description constitutes an offer or guarantee of employment. Please note that we do not provide immigration sponsorship for this position.
Bridgewater Associates, LP is an Equal Opportunity Employer