Quantitative Python Risk IT Developer
- Market Rate
- New York, NY, États-Unis New York NY US
- CDI, Plein-temps
- Garrison Associates, LLC
- 24 juil. 18 2018-07-24
Quantitative IT Python Risk Developer
A Leading Hedge Fund in Manhattan is looking for a full time, permanent, employee Quantitative Python Developer to join their Risk IT Group:
OVERVIEW OF THIS POSITION:
The Quantitative Application Developer – Risk and Middle Office will work directly on projects that improve the experience, efficiency and profitability of the Firm’s Risk and Operations teams. Reporting directly to the Risk and Operations Systems Architect, the successful candidate will be comfortable working directly with quant developers, risk analysts, operations analysts and risk managers to deliver front-to-back solutions.
He or she will be part of a small team of in-house and outsource developers, making hands-on contributions to the project portfolio with emphasis on productivity and code quality.
Additionally, he or she is expected to work collaboratively with others in IT to realize the full life cycle of system development projects: from requirements gathering through white-boarding, application design, system design, coding, delivery, support and enhancements through an agile/scrum process.
The successful candidate will have strong experience writing n-tier front- and back-office applications for financial services companies, such as asset managers, hedge funds and/or broker/dealers. Candidates with strong technology qualifications outside of financial services will be considered, but we have a strong bias toward hiring someone with a proven track record in finance.
This role must lead by example and work collaboratively to:
- Collaborate to shape the future of our application architecture
- Raise the bar on our development capabilities and processes
- Work to synthesize requirements gathered from multiple teams inside and outside IT and suggest creative solutions – where appropriate guiding us to “do it the right way.”
- Organize with end users, business analysts, and other architects and developers following a scrum methodology.
- Develop and maintain new and existing applications for use by our Middle Office team
- Tune code for efficiency
- Collaborate in standardizing the development processes including technology selection, deployment steps, code reviews and IT tools.
Our applications are primarily browser-based, developed using Python/Django and python libraries such as pandas, numpy etc., PL/SQL. Additionally, SQL Server, Elastic search, Redis, Kafka, Tableau, and a variety of third party APIs and data sources come into play.
- 5+ years hands-on object-oriented development in a financial services context (Java and/or C++), and hands-on data driven development in Python is a must.
- Design and development experience with data and analytics intensive applications using Numpy/ Pandas libraries
- Abilityto write high performing SQL queries, procs, tables and views
- Familiar with general ETL design and development
- Experience profiling and optimizing code for performance
- Experience working with Real-Time or distributed processing systems a big plus
- Good intuition for end user requirements gathering, iterative and collaborative approach to design
- Practical understanding of design patterns and a good intuition for system design
Primary responsibilities estimated percentage allocation:
- 20% Relationship Building: requirements gathering, brainstorming with end users
- 80% Heads Down Development
INITIAL SUCCESS CRITERIA
The successful candidate needs to hit the ground running, balancing very short-term tactical needs and longer-term in-flight projects needed by the Firm’s Risk and Middle Office teams. During the first six- months the Senior Developer – Risk and Middle Office systems will have learned enough about the Firm’s business, processes and applications that he or she should have accomplished the following:
- Taken ownership of one or more Risk and Middle office projects and systems that are being built to facilitate our SMA capitalization, performance attribution, risk exposures and/or risk management activities
- Provided significant Python-based project deliverables with significant contributions in front, middle and back-end
- Made hands-on contributions to the progress of that project portfolio
- Forged solid relationships with key partners in risk management and middle office operations analysts and managers, and developed a vocabulary that demonstrates a strong understanding of our products and services
- Begun to contribute to the broader Firm’s IT conversation, considering how our data architecture, systems architecture and technology choices need to evolve to provide the best experience to our decision makers
BACKGROUND AND TRAINING:
- A Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or other related discipline (although strong experience with a less directly related degree will be considered)
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience developing software in the finance industry
- Formal problem solving and/or analytical training/experience a plus, as is experience working with management consultants
- CFA or FRM a plus