AVP - Market Risk Manager
- Hong Kong
- CDI, Plein-temps
- 24 sept. 17
AVP - Market Risk Manager
Barclays is a transatlantic consumer, corporate and investment bank offering products and services across personal, corporate and investment banking, credit cards and wealth management, with a strong presence in our two home markets of the UK and the US. Our goal is to become the bank of choice by providing superior services to customers and clients and supporting our stakeholders via a commercially successful business that generates long-term sustainable returns.
Our two clearly defined divisions, Barclays UK and Barclays International, provide diversification by business line, geography and customer, enhancing financial resilience and helping to contribute to the delivery of consistent returns through the business cycle. We have a strong core business with exciting prospects, well positioned to deliver long-term value for our shareholders.
Consistent with the objective of delivering long-term sustainable value for all our stakeholders, we have developed our Shared Growth Ambition - our approach to citizenship and the sustainability of the business model we operate. The aim is to make decisions and do business that provides our clients and customers, and the communities which we serve, with access to a prosperous future.
The delivery of our strategy is underpinned by the energy, commitment and passion of our people, and we are clear on our common purpose: to help people achieve their ambitions, in the right way.
The Risk Function is responsible for the overall management and oversight of risk management practices group-wide. It operates right across the organisation, and right across the globe to protect Barclays' financial performance and reputation.
About Market Risk
Market Risk is part of the wider Risk function which also encompasses Credit Risk, Operational Risk, Risk Infrastructure and Risk Control. It is dedicated to the measurement, management and control of market risk.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds.
Overall purpose of role
The role is within the Market Risk Management team located in Hong Kong, to support the APAC regional head of Equities Market Risk Management. Key responsibilities includes supporting report productions, analysing and monitoring market risk exposure in Equities business in Asia.
· Monitoring and analyzing Equity trading portfolios and identifying material market risks.
· Challenging, when appropriate, market risks being taken.
· Communicating changes in risk profile to senior management formally via exposure and limit reports/Market Risk Review meetings and informally whenever significant risk positions arise.
· Ensuring that risks are captured and reported properly.
· Handling enquiries and ad hoc requests from regulators or senior management
Stakeholder Management and Leadership
· The role will have daily interactions with various teams; business and infrastructure partners in the firm - Front Office, Middle Office, Product Control, Capital & Risk Information Service.
· This role is required to make weekly presentation of market moves, market events and top risks of the Equities Asia portfolios to Head of Market Risk Asia as well as risk managers in other Asia Pacific locations. Often this would require answering impromptu questions thus this role needs to be familiar with the risks run by the desks and to keep up to date with developments in the markets.
· The role will interact with market risk teams in London and the US.
· This role would discuss risk exposures with Front Office and challenge whether the risk profile is in line with risk appetite of the desk.
Decision-making and Problem Solving
The role is required to work independently and take a pro-active role in undertaking risk analysis of Equities Asia. It requires sound communication skill, superb analytical skills and good product knowledge on Equities. Such analysis is sometimes required to be undertaken at short notice in response to market events.
Risk and Control
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
· Bachelor degree in Quantitative / Finance discipline
· Experience working in control or valuation function in a financial institution. Knowledge in equity or structured products would be preferable.
· Be able to work independently and have good multi-tasking skills
· Strong team player with good communication skills
Purpose and Values
Barclays has a single cross-business Purpose for Barclays and five core Values which underpin it.
Our Purpose is helping people achieve their ambitions in the right way. Put simply this is the answer to the question 'What is Barclays for?' and it should guide our every action as employees.
We respect and value those we work with, and the contribution that they make.
We act fairly, ethically and openly in all we do.
We put our clients and customers at the centre of what we do.
We use our energy, skills and resources to deliver the best, sustainable results.
We are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.