Mercer’s global Alternatives team of 190 world-class specialists across 21 locations are proven partners across the investment consulting continuum, delivering insightful research, customized advice and/or implemented solutions that help clients achieve their desired outcomes. Our private markets business is part of the Alternatives team and has 25 years of experience, which spans advisory services, and custom and pooled investment solutions. We manage private equity fund portfolios, including $124 billion in assets under advisement, and $15 billion in assets under management.
Mercer is pleased to present an exciting opportunity to join our successful and rising Private Equity Investments team within our Alternatives business. In this position you will have the opportunity to work as part of a global team, serving Mercer’s large discretionary and advisory institutional client base. Based in Hong Kong, the Research Analyst will work with and support the Global Private Equity team in bringing best in class Private Equity ideas and services to our investment consultants and to our global client base. We are looking for a collaborative team player who can collaborate and build strong relationships with adjacent teams within Mercer.
What you can expect:
- You will be based in Hong Kong, working as a member of a global investment team, assisting in screening and evaluating primarily Asia Pacific private markets funds and co-investments.
- You will be involved in fund due diligence including quantitative and qualitative analysis as well as monitoring the existing portfolio.
- The role is an opportunity for an experienced professional to advance their career in the private markets and advisory industry.
- The successful candidate will gain exposure to the some of the largest institutional investors and private equity firms in APAC and will join a team of five investment professionals across Hong Kong and Singapore.
We will count on you to:
- Participate in evaluating funds and co-investment opportunities, and advancing our existing relationships industry participants such as placement agents, industry bodies and fund managers.
- Perform due diligence on identified funds and co-investments. This will include on-site interviews, analysis of track records, peer comparisons and the preparation of investment reports.
- Support views and recommendations with quantitative and qualitative analysis. Contribute to strategic research projects.
- Monitor existing investments, including by attending AGMs.
- Discuss research findings with internal and external clients.
What you need to have:
- BA/ BS degree in finance, economics or other business related areas. CFA or CAIA qualifications would be a plus.
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years of relevant private markets and financial markets experience.
- Ambitious attitude and a desire to develop your career in private market investment and advisory work.
- Strong communication skills. Fluency in spoken and written English
- Excellent numeracy skills and a high attention to detail.
- Advanced capability with Word, PowerPoint and Excel is a prerequisite.
What makes you a stand-out?
- A solid understanding of the private markets industry.
- Strong communication skills.
- Fluency in one or multiple Asian languages (Indian, Korean, Japanese and Mandarin).
- Experience in performing due diligence on private markets funds and co-investments.
- Hands on approach and experience preparing investment reports.
Mercer believes in building brighter futures by redefining the world of work, reshaping retirement and investment outcomes, and unlocking real health and well-being. Mercer’s approximately 25,000 employees are based in 43 countries and the firm operates in 130 countries. Mercer is a business of Marsh McLennan (NYSE: MMC), the world’s leading professional services firm in the areas of risk, strategy and people, with 76,000 colleagues and annual revenue of over $17 billion. Through its market-leading businesses including Marsh, Guy Carpenter and Oliver Wyman, Marsh McLennan helps clients navigate an increasingly dynamic and complex environment.
Marsh McLennan (NYSE: MMC) is the world’s leading professional services firm in the areas of risk, strategy and people. The Company’s 76,000 colleagues advise clients in 130 countries. With annual revenue over $17 billion, Marsh McLennan helps clients navigate an increasingly dynamic and complex environment through four market-leading businesses. Marsh provides data driven risk advisory services and insurance solutions to commercial and consumer clients. Guy Carpenter develops advanced risk, reinsurance and capital strategies that help clients grow profitably and pursue emerging opportunities. Mercer delivers advice and technology-driven solutions that help organizations redefine the world of work, reshape retirement and investment outcomes, and unlock health and wellbeing for a changing workforce. Oliver Wyman serves as a critical strategic, economic and brand advisor to private sector and governmental clients.