About Columbia Threadneedle Investments
You'll find the promise we make to our clients is the same one we make to our employees: Your success is our priority.
Here, you'll find growth and career opportunities across all our businesses. We're intentionally built to help you succeed. Our reach is expansive with a global team of 2,000 people working together. Our expertise is diverse with more than 450 investment professionals sharing global perspectives across all major asset classes and markets. Our clients have access to a broad array of investment strategies and we have the capability to create bespoke solutions matched to clients' specific requirements.
Columbia Threadneedle is a people business and we recognise that our success is due to our talented people, who bring diversity of thought, complementary skills and capabilities. We are committed to providing an inclusive workplace that supports the diversity of our employees and reflects our broader communities and client-base. We welcome applications from returners to the industry.
We appreciate that work-life balance is an important factor for many when considering their next move so please discuss any flexible working requirements directly with your recruiter. Job Purpose Statement
Columbia Threadneedle Investments' Luxembourg funds continue to be an area of strategic growth. You would act as the lead funds lawyer for Luxembourg, advising on all legal aspects of the retail funds business. You would focus on the existing Luxembourg SICAVS and provide support to Columbia Threadneedle Investments across its EMEA footprint, with the potential to advise on other Luxembourg fund structures. You may also be asked to assist with funds established in Ireland. With the recent acquisition by Columbia Threadneedle Investments of a complementary asset management business, you would be expected to support with ongoing integration projects, participating in working groups with colleagues from different legal and business areas globally. Role Responsibilities
Your role is a key element of the Columbia Threadneedle Investments Global General Counsel Organisation ("GCO"). You will be the in-house expert on Luxembourg fund law and regulation. The role will primarily focus on the existing Luxembourg fund ranges including:
- Drafting prospectus changes, in collaboration with the relevant Product Managers, Portfolio Managers and Compliance Officers;
- Participation in regular and ad hoc Boards of Directors meetings, coordinating the relevant Corporate Secretaries in preparing required legal materials;
- Developing a relationship with the CSSF in relation to fund and product development matters and generally supporting the Compliance team on the relationship with the CSSF and other regulators as appropriate.
- Advising on Luxembourg regulatory developments and changes, analyzing and articulating the effects on the Luxembourg funds and wider global asset management business;
- Acting as the primary lawyer for the Columbia Threadneedle Investments' Luxembourg domiciled management company, engaging in all legal issues confronting the company;
- Managing external counsel as necessary; and
- Serving generally as the main Luxembourg legal subject matter expert for Columbia Threadneedle Investments, able to contribute on questions from various areas including distribution and front office functions.
In addition, as part of a global GCO function supporting a business in many jurisdictions, you will participate with GCO colleagues on other projects as they arise that are required to promote business goals globally. You will be reporting to a Senior Funds lawyer, who will have responsibility overall for the funds business in Luxembourg, the United Kingdom and Ireland. Key Capabilities To be successful in this role you will have.... Technical
- Lawyer with at least 5 years' experience gained in advising asset management businesses on Luxembourg based fund structures including UCITS and associated Luxembourg regulatory developments.
- French or German speaker
- Proven experience in liaising with regulators and developing strong relationships with them and within the industry.
- Able to demonstrate pragmatic solutions-based counsel and strong relationship building skills to maintain credibility with the business.
- Specific experience in SICAV fund maintenance and restructuring, including familiarity with fund documentation and applicable regulations.
- From an in-house legal department of an asset manager or from private practice ideally with experience of working in an in house role.
- An understanding of significant regulations which apply to a European asset manager such as the Markets in Financial Instruments Directive, Transparency Directive, European Markets Infrastructure Regulations, Anti Money Laundering requirements and Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulation.
- Self-starter, with an ability to use initiative while quantifying risk, escalating to the right levels at the right time.
- Empathetic leader, acting in the best interests of co-workers and the business, with the willingness to manage personnel over time.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues across a broad spectrum of cultural and professional disciplines, and in particular with colleagues in the United States and Asia.
- Takes ownership of issues even if outside areas of expertise, pivoting quickly to find solutions.
- Interest in other areas of the asset management business, with a view to expanding knowledge in order to provide more well-rounded counsel.
- Strong team player who works effectively in an open non-hierarchical environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Intellectual curiosity about asset management industry and best practice solutions, keeping up to date on the latest legal and business developments.
- Excellent research, problem solving and influencing skills with the ability to recommend and 'sell' sound pragmatic solutions.
- High attention to detail, well-organized.
- Ability to prioritize time, work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Exceptional client service skills.
- Strong degree or equivalent level of qualification