11103 About our client
Our client is currently investing from their $270mn maiden fund and has a second fund soon to be closed around €400mn in size. They have a flexible mandate, typically investing between €1 - 10mn at Series A through to Series D in companies that have existing revenues and are looking to scale rapidly. It also has a significant allocation for investing in seed deals. It has a truly global mandate, with strong networks across the US, Europe and beyond, and are targeting the full spectrum of upstream and downstream players in the FoodTech and AgTech space.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a well-capitalised and impressive team, playing a key role in deploying capital into some of the most exciting themes surrounding the future of food and agriculture. It is a collaborative group and provides a great environment to develop your career. What the job involves
As a research & origination professional your role will be to identify and analyse a pipeline of companies to invest, undertake thematic market research, and challenge the partners and team in their decision making through deep data analysis. This role is suitable for a highly intelligent and curious individual who enjoys research. It would be suitable for a data scientist, or someone with a business, financial, economics, computer science or technical degree, and/or relevant work experience. Your role will involve formulating theses on emerging technologies, and how they can create commercial value (both for businesses and consumers). Based on this research, you will source, meet and evaluate companies; and drive analysis throughout our diligence process to inform investment decisions.
You will work as an integral part of the investment team - helping to determine where to focus efforts, and driving robust, analytically-driven investment decisions.
Who we are looking for
- Work from first principles to identify potentially investable markets and trends - informed by your practical experience and coverage of emerging research
- Source, and evaluate companies relevant to research, generate superior deal flow
- Support due diligence including technical reviews, competitor analysis, industry references, analysis of product metrics, etc.
- Prepare written materials to brief the investment team on specific opportunities, and make investment recommendations
- Nurture collaboration and help educate our team with your insights
- Publish research and thought leadership via blog posts, events with founders and industry experts, and social media
- Represent the fund in the wider tech community; build a network of senior industry experts and academics, and collaborate with them to refine its thinking
- A passion for the business of technology, and some prior familiarity with the tech start-up ecosystem
- Undergraduate degree in computer science or a related technical discipline; postgraduate degree desirable
- Happy to work fully remotely
- It would be advantageous to have a track record as:
- a software engineer, data scientist, or technical PM in a start-up or leading tech company
- a professional researcher/analyst (e.g. software equity research) with a strong technical background
- Curiosity across FoodTech and AgTech
- Outstanding communication skills - and the ability to communicate key insights and recommendations to diverse audiences (perhaps demonstrated via a personal blog, Twitter, publications, presence at leading conferences)
- Strong qualitative and quantitative research skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and rigour
- A true team player, who thrives in small, collegiate environments
- Ability to manage time effectively and prioritise under pressure
- In addition to English, a knowledge of one or two European languages such as French and German, would be an advantage, as well as proficiency in advanced machine translation tools