Morgan Stanley Investment Management ("MSIM"), together with its investment advisory affiliates, has more than 1,100 investment professionals around the world and $1.6 trillion in assets under management or supervision as of December 31, 2021. Morgan Stanley Investment Management strives to provide strong long-term investment performance, outstanding service and a comprehensive suite of investment management solutions to a diverse client base, which includes governments, institutions, corporations and individuals worldwide. Basic Purpose:
The Trading Assistant team provides trading and system support to a small group of investment professionals and serves as the primary point of contact for counterparty, custodial, and fund accountant inquiries. Training and Career Development:
New hires will work closely with existing team members in the Singapore office to acclimate to their new role within the department, while learning more about the investment team and fund strategies. Most of the training will be directly with a current Trading Assistant in the Singapore office, with additional training on various topics scheduled to take place with Trading Assistants and managers in the London and Boston offices. Additional training will cover topics such as the various roles within the Emerging Markets department, trading and settling specific instruments, understanding the various systems used on the trading desk, classes focused on coding, and other on-the-job training sessions. New Trading Assistants will also have a rotating mentor and will have the opportunity to view recorded lunch & learns offered by the department. Primary Responsibilities:
- Assist traders with pre-trade checks including confirmation of our derivative positions, current cash balances, and available settlement locations.
- Monitor existing positions and coordinate execution with traders and portfolio managers.
- Perform post-trade functions including confirmation and providing allocations to brokers both manually and through electronic platforms.
- Monitor and resolve failing security trades and non-receipts, as well as assisting the broader team resolve open cash and position breaks.
- Work with our custodians to ensure settlement of trades and communicate with our counterparties to resolve any discrepancies.
- Monitor FX matching and netting. Ensure timely settlement to reduce risk of interest claims.
- Confirm and clear eligible IRS, CDS and NDF positions.
- Assist the trading desk in onboarding new counterparties, markets or trading systems.
- Monitor corporate actions and provide color to portfolio managers to assist in making election decisions.
- Assist with reporting under Dodd Frank and EMIR, as well as confirm compliance with local market regulations.
- Assist with other department projects and functions as needed.
- Bachelor's degree with strong academic record.
- 1+ years of relevant experience is a plus.
- Basic understanding of financial concepts.
- Must be organized and have strong attention to detail.
- High level of efficiency and ability to work under pressure, while handling multiple responsibilities.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work both independently and within a team.
- Demonstrated quantitative aptitude.
- Understanding of basic financial concepts through coursework or job experience.
- Long and flexible hours dependent on liquidity of relevant markets.
- Experienced in using Excel and Microsoft Office.
- Currently working towards a CFA or equivalent designation is a plus, but not required.