Funds Lawyer - Vice President
- Londres, Angleterre, Royaume-Uni
- CDI, Plein-temps
- Morgan Stanley
- 14 déc. 17 2017-12-14
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Professionals within Legal and Compliance provide a wide range of services to our business units. They might help to structure a complex and sensitive cross-border transaction; advise on new regulations or help to diffuse an investor dispute. They preserve the firm's invaluable reputation for integrity and protect the firm from sanction with policies and procedures that meet regulatory requirements around the world. They also strive to maintain cooperative relationships with governmental policy makers and the regulatory and self-regulatory agencies that govern the firm's businesses.
There is a vacancy within the Morgan Stanley EMEA Legal Division for a qualified lawyer to provide legal coverage for the funds and managed account platform within the International Equities Division (IED) of Morgan Stanley, which forms part of our Institutional Securities Group (ISG). ISG is distinct from Morgan Stanley’s Investment Management Division.
The Irish funds platform, called FundLogic, is a platform comprising multiple UCITS and AIF umbrella structures. The managed account platform, which is called Alphas, consists of several stand-alone Irish companies with third-party portfolio managers. Both FundLogic and Alphas offer a full range of investment solutions across all asset classes through both direct and synthetic replication.
FundLogic funds are distributed to both retail and institutional clients globally directly by Morgan Stanley and through an intermediary distribution network.
The role, which reports directly to the Head of European Equities Legal (a Managing Director), will have a diversified focus, providing general legal support and regulatory advice to different areas of the business as dictated by work flow and resource within the team from time to time.
Responsibilities will include:
- Advising on new fund launches: (i) liaising with the structuring team and the BU regarding design, launch and approval of funds, (ii) reviewing and negotiating contractual documents (IMA, rebalancing letter etc), and (iii) reviewing supplements/ KIIDS and responding to comments from the Central Bank of Ireland
- Advising on ISDA documentation for complex derivative trades and collateral arrangements. This includes negotiating ISDA schedules, CSAs and term sheets for bespoke derivative trades between the fund/managed account and MS/other brokers
- Advising on new managed account structures : (i) reviewing and negotiating contractual documents (swap confirms, CSAs and IMA etc.) and (ii) providing structuring advice to the BU
- Working on regulatory changes impacting the FundLogic platform from a buy-side perspective such as UCITS V, SFTR, MiFID II and Volcker. This includes analysing and advising the BU on the amendments required to the structure or related documentation, liaising with Irish counsel and assisting the business unit on obtaining board approval for the revised docs. As the platform has over 30 sub-funds with multiple third-party managers, this also involves liaising and discussing relevant regulatory changes with multiple counterparties
- Negotiating distribution agreements and rebate agreements relating to existing funds with new sub-distributors
- Addressing distribution/passporting queries, including in relation to both EU and non-EU jurisdictions and seeking advice from both local in-house Legal coverage and/or external counsel
- Advising on fund marketing documentation including factsheets, presentations and press releases
- Working with BU on regulatory requests received from counterparties such as local paying agents, managers or distributors
- Professional maturity, confidence, presence and initiative
- Good judgment and practical outlook in the application of law
- Strong organizational skills
- Aptitude for risk and controls
Areas of expertise in a combination (but not necessarily all) of the following areas are desirable:
- a working knowledge of funds in general and fund governance (and UCITS and AIFMD in particular); - a working knowledge or prior experience of derivative trading documentation (e.g. ISDA/ CSA, clearing agreements, futures documentation), repo and stock lending arrangements;
- affinity with financial services regulation (including understanding of current regulatory framework affecting trading and investments (e.g. MIFID2, EMIR));
- previous relevant experience in a major law firm and/or in-house at a sell-side or buy-side financial institution.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.*LI-FH1