Purpose of Role:
SSGA is the world's third largest asset manager and the sector's leader among official institutions. Within the firm, the Global Macro team serves as the core team developing views on the global economy and politics, sharing its research across all investment teams as well as the entire client base.
As a global macro strategist / researcher, you will be part of the core global macro research function, with a passion about international political economy, macroeconomics, sovereign balance sheets, financial markets and geopolitics.
Working closely with the Head of Macro Policy Research as well as other global macro team members, you will deepen knowledge base and generate thought leadership around the intersection of macroeconomics, financial markets and policymaking. Therefore, the strategist / researcher will need to explore and develop research ideas that cross several disciplines and are typically non-recurring. While guided by colleagues, he/she will be able to operate independently and in an entrepreneurial manner, and require the confidence to help craft the design and approach of each research project.
In addition, you will provide extensive support as a subject matter expert to the operational workings of the team, both for internal purposes in support of C-suite activity or the client relationship team, as well as for client-facing events or training and knowledge transfer programs.
This position is located in London or any other SSGA EMEA location. You will report to the Head of Macro Policy Research. Specific Duties:
Provide creative research for publications, investment processes and client servicing
Qualifications Personal Profile: Essential
- Support customised in-depth research projects that connect macro-economics, financial markets and policymaking
- Draft and prepare research material for client usage, with responsibility for data research and analysis
- Research and co-write regular quarterly global macro flagship publication
- Assist colleagues across all investment teams in client-focused development of investment products or ad hoc client queries
- Develop and maintain specialised repository of official institution expertise
- Draft and prepare thought leadership contributions (papers, presentations, speeches, etc.)
- Propose, outline and develop content for SSGA publications or sponsored events
- Identify, compile and maintain specific data series for streamlined research purposes , i ntelligence gathering, capacity building and communications
- Monitor economic, financial, political and institutional developments relevant for our investor audience
- Regularly distribute summary of noteworthy developments and insights
- Serve as a working-level internal subject matter expert for macro policy space, providing input and liaising with investment and client-facing teams
- Study and comment on the evolution of sovereign asset management trends and analyse the competitive landscape in the sovereign sector
- High quality university degree or equivalent experience
- Deep understanding of macro-economics and/or solid investment foundation
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills
- Experience in building strong internal and external relationships
- Experience in macro-economic or investment research
- Initiative and independence to thrive in a dynamic and entrepreneurial team environment, while operating within a large complex organisation
- Strong intellectual curiosity for international politics, economics and markets
- Economics or Finance degree
- CFA, IMC or other industry qualifications
- Experience in a policy making institution or in the financial industry
Our promise to maintain an environment where every employee feels valued and is given equal opportunities to meet their full potential regardless of their identity, origin or gender infuses our day-to-day efforts. It's also part of our dedication to inclusion, development and engagement, and corporate social responsibility. Join us.